Friday, April 16, 2010

What's On The Menu?

On Wednesday, your child will be participating in a cooking lesson that will be filled with a wealth of nutrition. Below, you will find the recipe that we will use. After specials (10:40), your child will be able to go on a picnic and eat the food that he or she helped prepare. If you have a child - sized apron (or several we may borrow), please send it with your child to school. We will make sure they get home. Also, if you would like to prepare an alternate lunch in case they do not like what is being served, please feel free to do so!



Roast Vegetable Sauce (2 Cups)

1 Small Eggplant, cubed
1 Whole Garlic Clove
1 Tomato, cut into 6 wedges
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Cup Carrots, chopped
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce
Pasta (I used tortellini filled with parmesan cheese from Trader Joes, but any pasta your little one enjoys will work)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the first 6 ingredients in a large glass dish dish or cookie sheet and combine. Make sure all of the vegetables are evenly coated with oil.
3. Bake for 45 minutes.
4. Cool for several minutes.
5. Place the vegetables in a food processor with the tomato sauce and puree until smooth.
6. Toss some of the sauce with pasta and serve.


Smoothie

2 Cups Vanilla Yogurt
1 Cup Fruit juice
3 Bananas
1 Cup Strawberries
Ice

1.Place Yogurt and Juice into the blender.
2.Add fruit and blend. (Frozen fruit may work in place of the ice)
3.Add ice if needed and liquefy using a blender.
4.Drink and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Lou Ann-

    You should remind the parents that they can subscribe to this by email. It's so fun to see!

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this tonight and it was such the hit! Plus, my house smelled yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is what your child had to say about today's menu:

    Jacob: I liked eating the yummy sauce.
    Abbas: I liked making dough and putting it in the spaghetti machine.
    Noah: I loved my smoothie. It tasted like yogurt!
    Elizabeth: Cranking the machine was awesome!
    Tara: The smoothie was delicious!
    Emma: I was sort of nervous to try the smoothie but it was really yummy.
    Emily: i tried something new and my mom will be SO surprised - she will say nothing!
    Cooper: Cracking the egg was fantastic.
    Austin: I thought I didn't like carrots! I had 2 plates of it!!!
    Presley: I like the spaghetti so much!
    Mitchell: I like putting yogurt in the smoothie.
    Glen: I love the spaghetti sauce - it was fantastic!
    Leo: I ate tomatoes in my sauce!
    Thomas: I loved the eggplant in the sauce!
    Creagon: Did you know that there was eggplant in the sauce? I liked it!
    Laurie: I loved making the spaghetti sauce and the smoothie!
    Sophie: I like the spaghetti because it had parmesan cheese on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lou Ann - I am so happy that I can find this recipe each and every time I need it! My kids just devour this sauce and it freezes nicely! Thanks for being such a FANTASTIC Kindergarten Teacher!!!

    ReplyDelete

When 2 Vowels Go Walking...great for Small Group Rdg Lesson